Wednesday, October 10, 2012

in plain sight: in progress

I have been having some trouble deciding what exactly I want to do with this project. I have two very different ideas right now that both seem to work in their own ways. The first idea that I attempted was to recreate the fire that burned the Third Ward in 1892. After walking around and see the "historical site" plaques on many of the buildings, I realized that very few buildings from before the fire remain. Many were rebuilt in the early 1900s. I started to think about the idea that no one is alive today who was alive when the fire occurred. It also made me think about how rare a fire of that nature would be today. The large fires of our times occur in as wildfires during droughts. City fires are always brought under control with minimal damage. So, I recreated the fire and I thought about the different tools and systems in place today that help people control or escape from fire.

These images are mostly unedited. I would like some input on color vs. black and white?






After exploring that idea, I explored the tools/systems of "fire escape" in more depth. These methods were put in place so long ago and they have not changed much. Metal staircases on the sides of buildings seems somewhat outdated, right? But it works.

The following images were shot using 35mm film. I seemed to have problems during development because all of my negatives are very cloudy. I will finish the project using digital images to save on time. For these, I would like some input on black and white vs. sepia?








No comments:

Post a Comment