I will be turning the camera on myself in an attempt to
portray the intimacy of isolation. I feel so different when I am alone than
with friends and I want to explore that feeling and try to examine it. It is
the feeling of quiet moments, where the ordinary becomes extraordinary. It is
the feeling that a speck of dust is the most beautiful object in the room. It
is the feeling of warm light reflecting off of hard, unmoving surfaces or
absorbing into soft, malleable skin. It is the feeling that everything in the
world is just as significant as it is meaningless. I can easily describe the
feeling in words, but how will it look as a series of images? That is what I
will create. Throughout the next week or two, I will photograph myself and my
immediate surroundings using 35mm color film. It is hard to estimate how many
images I will take but I expect the finished series to consist of eight to ten
photographs. I would prefer to print the images smaller than 8x10 inches,
perhaps 4x6 so that the viewer feels as if he or she is looking at forgotten
moments from a family album. The viewer is able to hold a small print in his or
her hand and feel the image. It is not common practice to make physical family
albums anymore. Everything is digital. The physical photograph is rare and
intimate and must be handled with care.
No comments:
Post a Comment